Monday, January 21, 2008

...and so it begins!

"She is too fond of books and it has addled her mind!" ~ Louisa May Alcott

One fine day last October as I sat with my fellow Chi Omega sisters at The Monastery listening to Erin lead our meeting, I heard the phrases "Reading Rewards", "Book Club", and "Need a volunteer"...

Now the first part of that was really exciting. I've always wanted to be in a book club! This was going to be great! I read a moderate amount, but I haven't really encouraged myself to venture outside my science fiction fantasy book list in the recent past. I was going to get to read REAL books and TALK about them with smart, thoughtful women! Just like in my Literature Classes only without the annoying teachers, papers, and tests. Boy was this going to be AWESOME!

Reality check: No one seemed to be tripping over anyone else to be the chair of the club. To make this dream come true, it seemed I had to step up to the challenge of leading the group. Not a problem, as I'm generally brave enough to risk looking foolish... "Discouraged Never" right?!

And so I find myself in charge.

Be patient with me. Remember above when I said, "I've always wanted to be in a book club?" this rather implies that I've never lead a book club either! I have received lots of help from you all so far, especially the book that Cheryl Lister lent me called "Good Books Lately" by Ellen Moore and Kira Stevens. I look forward to the continued support of the sisterhood!

I am especially in need of suggestions as to good places to meet on the West side. (Being an Eastsider shouldn't be a handicap, despite what you Westsiders may humorously think!)

Keep stopping back to the blog for updates, information, and hopefully some fun stuff too.

Welcome to the adventure!

Yours in Chi Omega, Connie Carpenter Macko

No comments: